Norfolk Islanders - Kingston, Norfolk Island
The Norf’k language is recognised as a distinct and unique language.
The language developed in the isolation of Pitcairn Island in the 18th century and is known among the locals as “Norfolk”.
The Norfolk Island Language (Norf’k) Act was passed in 2004 to recognise Norf’k as an official language of the Island.
“Norfolk” was an oral language and therefore a uniform written dictionary does not exist from the early stages of its development.
Following the Mutiny on the Bounty, and the new community’s settlement on Pitcairn, a unique culture evolved ~ one distinctive feature was described by Loukakis (1984):
‘One of the most striking cultural developments to take place in this unusual Pacific Island society was the invention of a new language. Through day-to-day contact, the mix of people speaking Tahitian and other Polynesian languages, and eighteenth century English dialects, eventually developed a distinctive Pitcairnese language. Although owing more to English than to Polynesian, the ‘language of the mothers’ (largely Tahitian, that is), made its presence especially felt in the matter of vocabulary, providing words for which there were no English equivalents, or for which Tahitian just seemed more appropriate. This language they took with them when they finally moved to Norfolk and is the basis of the present Norfolk dialect.’
(as quoted in The Distinctiveness Report of the Norfolk Islander Ethnicity, Culture and the Norf’k Language by Professor Peter Muhlhausler).
Unloading the ship at Kingston pier
Unloading the ship at Cascade pier
Unloading the ship at Cascade pier
On a day of unloading the cargo ship on Norfolk Island....
The launch is put into the water and takes a crew of stevedores out to the ship, towing an empty lighter along. While they begin loading the ship’s cargo into slings, the empty lighter is gradually filled up by the ship’s cranes, It is towed back to the pier for unloading onshore by a mobile crane.
Most stevedore and lighterage workers have other regular jobs, which they leave for the day or two it takes to unload the ship; but for a few, the one-a-month job is the main source of income.
The men are paid for the tonnage unloaded, and everyone welcomes a quiet sea, which allows the job to be done more rapidly.
The lighters have all been built on Norfolk. They have to take a severe beating, especially when a big swell is throwing the lighter up against the ship’s side. Damage can be repaired but the boat’s life is limited.
Reference: Marie’s Complete A-Z Guide to Norfolk (1986 edition) by Alice and Ed Howard.
Lime Kiln - Norfolk Island
Towards the lime kiln area - Norfolk Island
One of the convict era lime kilns can still be seen intact nearby Emily Bay in Kingston.
You can look down into the kiln, which was dug into the earth and lined with stone. At the bottom you will see the port where the burnt lime was drawn out. Walk down the hill, circle to your right into the quarried-out area where the barbeques are, and you can see the port from the other side.
The lime kiln was fired to reduce coral sand rock to lime. This was used in cementing and plastering buildings. Lime/sand rough cast on external walls of porous limestone helped to keep out the damp.
The kiln was used by the Pitcairners up into the 20th century. Cutting limestone and timber for firing, and then stacking and burning the kiln, were one of the Public Works jobs that men of the island were assigned to carry out without charge as part of their duties to the community.
Reference: Marie’s Complete A-Z Guide to Norfolk (1986 edition) by Alice and Ed Howard.
Lone Pine, Norfolk Island
Point Hunter curls around Emily Bay, and at the tip of the point is the Lone Pine.
This is a single pine that has been there longer than anyone can remember.
Drawings of the Kingston settlement from 1840, show a mature pine standing at the point in isolation. It appears to have changed little in all of those years.
Assuming it was 40 or so years old in the 1840 drawings, it would now be getting on towards 200 years old!
This is a favourite spot to park up and look out at Nepean Island, Phillip Island and across the Kingston reef to the pier.
Late afternoon sunsets are magic for a photo shoot!
Reference: Marie's Guide to Norfolk - Ed & Alice Howard 1986.
Branka House, private residence - Norfolk Island
The old Longridge (or Long Ridge) was the main agricultural centre during the Second British Settlement, and at times up to 600 prisoners lived at Longridge.
The Longridge Agricultural Station was established as a farming settlement during the late 1820's after Kingston & Arthur’s Vale. Extensive and permanent buildings were erected from the late 1830's to the early 1850's.
Surviving buildings at Longridge include a former cookhouse and a ration store and bakehouse, and Branka House. Also in the area can be found plants introduced during the First and Second Settlement periods. These include red cedar, citrus trees, banana trees and a Moreton Bay Fig.
2009 Map of Norfolk Island
1904 Map of Norfolk Island
1887 Map of Norfolk Island
In 1866, the sale of Crown land was approved and this allowed a Mission to be set up for Melanesians on the island.
The Church of England Bishop of New Zealand, Bishop George Selwyn had made application for a station to be set up on Norfolk Island with the purpose of religious instruction and training of missionaries.
Until 1896 when European members were granted political rights, the Mission community took no part in island affairs. Lands were cultivated until 1920 when the college was moved to the Solomon Islands, nearer the centre of Mission work.
The Mission assisted the islanders from 1871, sharing the cost of a medical officer and contributed to a subsidised shipping service in 1899.
Track to Mount Bates - Norfolk Island
Both Mt. Pitt and Mt. Bates are the crater-rim remnants of a long-extinct volcano; both are just over 1,000 ft above sea-level.
Described by Dr Ullathorne in 1834,
‘(we) reach the crown of Mount Pitt; whence the tout ensemble, in so small a space, is indescribable, of rock, forest, valley, cornfield, islet, sea birds, land birds, sunshine and sea.’
At the summit of Mt. Pitt is a small open area commanding a view of the whole island. On a clear day, and most Norfolk days are clear, the panorama is something to remember. To the south is Phillip and Nepean Islands. It is here, with all Norfolk spread out below, that one finally realises what a privilege it is to live on a small island. From this height Norfolk appears tiny, and the sea stretching unbroken to the horizon, immensely wide.
To this may be added a further thought; where the eye cannot reach, for hundreds of miles, there is nothing but sea. No blue hills break the distance; no cities surging with noisy traffic wait around the corner; no highways lead to friendly little picnic spots or weekend houses 20 miles up the river.
This is Norfolk; an isolated mound in the Pacific; and the mainland is no closer than 500 miles.
Reference:
Norfolk Island - An Outline of Its History 1774 - 1987 - Merval Hoare, 1969.
Rambler’s guide to Norfolk Island - Merval Hoare, 1972.
On 23 December 1787, Lieutenant William Bligh left England bound for Tahiti on board Her Majesty’s Armed Vessel Bounty. Bligh’s mission was to gather breadfruit trees for the West Indian planters. The Bounty reached Tahiti on 25 October 1788 and spent five months collecting and loading the plants.
Upon leaving Tahiti, and shortly into their voyage, the Bounty’s crew mutinied. On 28 April 1789, Bligh was cast off in an open provisioned boat with eighteen others.
Fletcher Christian took command and after an unsuccessful attempt to set up settlement at Tubuai, they returned to Tahiti. Some of the mutineers agreed to separate. The rest of Christian’s crew, along with twelve Tahitian women and six Tahitian men, set sail to find a fitting place of refuge.
After desperately searching for several weeks, they finally came upon Pitcairn Island.
Captain Carteret on his discovery of the island had recorded the longitude incorrectly.
This nautical error was in 'perfect error' for Christian to establish a secluded and hidden settlement.
Open 7 days a week
10am to 4pm
Corner of Queen Elizabeth Avenue and Middlegate Road
EFTPOS Availabe & FREE WIFI
Bounty Museum
P.O Box 69
Norfolk Island
NSW 2899
Phone: 53961